How to Enable Gui Root Login in Debian 9 – KDE5 Plasma

In this post I am going to explain how to enable GUI root access on Debian 9 – KDE5 Plasma (thanks to Dario Alejandro for the instructions). The following instructions vary those published in previous posts, as those explain how to enable Gui Root Login in Debian 8 and Debian 9 for gnome.

At this point I should once again warn you that using root access can ruin your whole system. Don’t use it if you don’t know what you are doing!

One can get GUI root login on KDE5 Plasma running sddm as follows:
1) set the root password “sudo passwd root”
2) in /etc/sddm.conf change MinimumUid=1000 to MinimumUid=0
3) in /etc/pam.d/sddm comment out “auth required pam_success_if.so user != root quiet_success”
4) Reboot into the glory of root access! Don’t bjork your machine now!

I hope this helps!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Computing and Others and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How to Enable Gui Root Login in Debian 9 – KDE5 Plasma

1. Pingback: How to Enable Gui Root Login in Debian 9 | Economic Theory Blog

2. Pingback: How to Enable Gui Root Login in Debian 8 | Economic Theory Blog

3. Walt Williams says:

Where is the /etc/sddm.conf file? I just installed Debian 9.1 on my system.

• ad says:

Hi! The file is called sddm.conf and should be stored in the etc directory. Are you sure that you installed KDE5 Plasma? In case you installed Gnome, check out this post: https://economictheoryblog.com/2017/05/02/how-to-enable-gui-root-login-in-debian-9/

Cheers

• Walt Williams says:

I do have KDE installed. Its the standard KDE the install routine installs for Debian version 9.1. I did find a /etc/sddm directory with only an Xsession file contained within. I suppose I could create smmd.conf file in the /etc directory with the information above.

I have been using Debian since version 3.1 (Sarge). Each version gave little resistance to logining in as root.

• ad says:

Unfortunately, I do not have KDE installed at any of my machines, so it is hard for me to verify why it isn’t working. I will install KDE once I have a bit of spare time and check if anything changed. Please drop a note if in the meantime you find a workaround.

• On my recent kubuntu 16.04.3 install I found the sddm.conf in /etc/init/ instead of /etc/. There may be slight differences between Debian and kubuntu file locations. Try using “locate sddm.conf”.

4. Afzal shaikh says:

there is no sddm.conf file in the etc directory.

• ad says:

there might exist slight differences depending on the distribution that you are using. Dario Alejandro dropped some very useful comments in this direction.

5. Edit to previous comment: running kubuntu, you can change the minimum uuid by going to Settings —> System Settings –> Startup and Shutdown –> Login Screen (SDDM) –> Advanced –> Change Minimum UID to 0. You still have to comment out “auth required pam_success_if.so user != root quiet_success” in /etc/pam.d/sddm